Hi all,
My fantastic department is hiring! See details below. Boone is a wonderful
place to live and App State has many excellent faculty and a true
commitment to sustainability and social justice.
Best,
Jacqui

*Assistant Professor of Sustainable Development*

https://hr.appstate.edu/employment/faculty-vacancies/968

POSITION & QUALIFICATIONS: The Goodnight Family Sustainable Development
Department at Appalachian State University invites applications for a
tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning August
2019. We seek a dynamic teacher, scholar, and activist/practitioner whose
work illuminates how ecological and social dynamics shape agrarian change
and rural development. Applicants with expertise in agroecology,
environmental justice, and/or climate change are especially encouraged to
apply. Priority will be given to applicants who integrate ecological and social
sciences, and to those whose work broadens our geographical strengths.

We are a critical development studies department that is committed to
preparing students for transformative, community-driven development and
social change. Diversity is a key (though still under-realized) component
of our department’s mission. Thus we seek candidates that strengthen our
department's commitment to improving intercultural competencies and working
across difference for positive social and ecological change. In addition,
faculty members are expected to maintain an active program of scholarship
and participate in service activities.

The best candidates will meet the following criteria, among others:

1.     A completed PhD (or other terminal degree) in a related field, or
detailed plans for degree completion prior to appointment;

2.     A commitment to high-quality teaching; the ability to teach
introductory courses in sustainable development as well as upper-level
seminars related to their area of expertise; the ability to incorporate
natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities in their teaching;

3.     Demonstrated potential to contribute to sustainable development
scholarship via an original research program;

4.     Experience working with diverse populations and/or experiences that
will support the department’s goal of preparing students to contribute to a
just, diverse, and global society; and

5.     A praxis orientation: the ability to guide students to become
thoughtful practitioners and grounded scholars of sustainable development,
as demonstrated by critical analysis of the practice of sustainable
development and agrarian issues, or self-reflexive experience in these
fields.

THE DEPARTMENT: The Goodnight Family Sustainable Development Department
integrates theory and practice from across the humanities, natural
sciences, and social sciences. We function as a collaborative,
transdisciplinary team of scholar-activists and scholar-practitioners with
backgrounds in agroecology and forestry, American studies, anthropology,
ecology, environmental studies, human geography, labor studies, and
political science. Many of our current faculty deviated from their
disciplinary mainstream in order to study pressing socio-ecological issues
in an integrative manner. As such, we welcome applicants with
unconventional intellectual trajectories and interdisciplinary training.

The department is composed of ten core faculty members whose research and
teaching draw on a broad range of local and international partnerships and
resources, including the department’s Teaching and Research Farm and
Agroecology Laboratory, located in Fleetwood, NC. We have more than 350
undergraduate majors who concentrate in one of four degree programs: a BS
in community, regional, and global development; a BS in agroecology and
sustainable agriculture; a BS in environmental studies; and a BA in
environmental studies. These degrees are offered in-house, rather than
through faculty affiliates in other departments, allowing us to have an
integrated curriculum. The Department’s mission is to prepare students to
engage in the social, economic, and environmental transformations necessary
to create thriving, equitable, and sustainable communities within an
ecologically healthy world. Our graduates are prepared to work in
leadership positions and fulfill the University’s commitment to building a
just and sustainable future. Additional information about the Department is
available at *www.sd.appstate.edu <http://www.sd.appstate.edu/>*.

THE UNIVERSITY: Located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North
Carolina, Appalachian State University offers a challenging academic
environment, energetic campus life, and breathtaking location. Appalachian
enrolls about 19,000 students and offers more than 150 undergraduate and
graduate majors. Small classes and close interactions between faculty and
students create a strong sense of community, which has become an
Appalachian hallmark. The University’s mission is to “prepare students to
lead purposeful lives as engaged global citizens who understand their
responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all.” Appalachian
State is one of 16 universities in the University of North Carolina system.

APPLICATION: Applications should include the following: 1) a cover letter;
2) a curriculum vitae, including contact information for at least three
references; 3) a one-page statement of teaching philosophy and a list of
new or existing courses you would like to teach; 4) a one-page research
statement; and 5) a one-page statement articulating your approach to
sustainable development and how your commitment to advancing diversity,
equity, and inclusion informs this approach. All application materials
should be compiled in a single PDF and e-mailed to Brian Burke <
sdj...@appstate.edu> with the subject line: “Application for SD Assistant
Professor Position.”

Review of applications will begin on *November 8, 2019*, and continue until
the position is filled. Questions may be addressed to the search committee
chair, Dr. Brian Burke at sdj...@appstate.edu.

Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational
programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and
conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age,
disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application
process should contact Dr. Brian Burke (sdj...@appstate.edu). Proper
documentation of identity and employability will be required before the
hiring process can be finalized. Any offer of employment to a successful
candidate will be conditional upon the University’s receipt of a
satisfactory criminal background report.

--

Dr. Jacqueline Ignatova
Assistant Professor
Goodnight Family Sustainable Development Department
Appalachian State University
305 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, NC 28608