Hi,
This position (ad attached and below) at the University of Victoria may be of
interest to some on these lists. The person who sent it to me, who is at U Vic
in another unit, noted that “The radical and theory-informed political
ecologists and political theory people at this unit are really good, and the
university does some great stuff more generally on Indigeneity, environment,
and resource extraction.” I think that's right, but (being on the other side of
the continent) don’t really have any other inside info to offer. All the best,

Andrew

Andrew Biro
Professor, Dept of Politics
Acadia University
Wolfville, NS  B4P 2R6
phone: 902-585-1925
email: andrew.b...@acadiau.ca<mailto:andrew.b...@acadiau.ca>
twitter: @andrewbiro

Acadia University is built on the traditional and unceded territory of the
Mi’kmaq Nation. We are all Treaty People.

--

Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Political Ecology
School of Environmental Studies, University of Victoria

January 1, 2020 start date

The School of Environmental Studies at the University of Victoria, located on
the traditional territories of the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples,
invites applications for a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Political Ecology.
The interdisciplinary field of Political Ecology critically investigates the
social, political, economic and cultural dimensions of environmental challenges
to develop solutions that are effective because they are responsive to not only
technical and ecological but social and political realities. We encourage
candidates who engage with critical and intersectional approaches (e.g.,
Indigenous, anti-racist, decolonial, feminist, queer). We also welcome
candidates with commitments to public engagement and community-based research,
research with Indigenous communities, and/or who are in conversation with the
natural sciences. The School of Environmental Studies,
http://web.uvic.ca/enweb/ is supported by three overlapping streams of
scholarship: political ecology, ethnoecology, and ecological restoration. We
are a relatively small group and depend on close cooperation, mutual respect
and camaraderie for our flourishing.

Candidates will be evaluated on the criteria that follow. The successful
candidate will have a PhD; will be an emerging world-class researcher in the
field of political ecology who demonstrates particular research creativity;
will have a critical understanding of the complex environmental challenges
involving the interaction of social and biophysical systems, and will be
proposing an original, innovative research program of high quality with the
potential to achieve international recognition. The successful candidate will
offer evidence of high-quality teaching and supervision, including support to
diversity and inclusiveness.

Tier 2 CRC Chairs are one of Canada’s premier early career recognition and
recruitment programs, and are intended for exceptional emerging scholars (i.e.,
candidates must have been an active researcher in their field for fewer than 10
years at the time of nomination). However, applicants who are more than 10
years from having earned their highest degree (and where career breaks exist)
may have their eligibility for a Tier 2 Chair assessed through the program’s
Tier 2 justification process. For more information on the CRC program generally
and on eligibility specifically, please consult the Canada Research Chairs
website:
http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca/program-programme/nomination-mise_en_candidature-eng.aspx

The successful applicant will be nominated by the University of Victoria for a
Tier 2 Canada Research Chair and, upon approval of the Chair by the CRC
Secretariat, will then be offered a tenure-track appointment at the rank of
Assistant Professor at the University. The anticipated start date for this
position is January 1, 2020.

UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion
in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we
seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and
across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of
groups experiencing barriers to equity. Read our full equity statement here:
www.uvic.ca/equitystatement<http://www.uvic.ca/equitystatement>.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; in accordance with Canadian
Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given
priority. Please indicate in your application package if you are a Canadian
citizen or permanent resident.

Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the
provisions of the Collective Agreement. Members are represented by the
University of Victoria Faculty Association (http://www.uvicfa.ca).

Please submit your application by e-mail to:
esa...@uvic.ca<mailto:esa...@uvic.ca>, with the subject line:
CRC_LastName_FirstName.
Applications should include the following in a single PDF:
(1) a cover letter providing an overview of the candidate’s qualifications, how
they fulfill the criteria defined above, and how their research capacity would
complement existing research strengths in the school;
(2) a detailed curriculum vitae;
(3) a maximum 4-page description of the candidate’s proposed research program;
(4) a one-page description of the candidate’s three most important research
contributions to date;
(5) a maximum 4-page statement of teaching experience and approach, including
evidence of teaching effectiveness;
(6) a one-page statement identifying their strengths and experiences in
promoting diversity, and
(7) contact information for three referees.

The University of Victoria acknowledges the potential impact that career
interruptions can have on a candidate’s record of research achievement and
encourages applicants to explain in their application the impact that career
interruptions may have had on their record of research achievement.

Application deadline:  February 1 2019.

Contact for questions:
Dr. Karena Shaw
Director, School of Environmental Studies
s...@uvic.ca<mailto:s...@uvic.ca>

Persons with disabilities, who anticipate needing accommodation for any part of
the application and hiring process, may contact Faculty Relations and Academic
Administration in the Office of the VP Academic and Provost at
frrecr...@uvic.ca<mailto:frrecr...@uvic.ca>. Any personal information provided
will be maintained in confidence.