Colleagues-

I'm pleased to announce publication of my latest co-authored article with Chris
Jeffords, "Environmental rights in the Asia Pacific region: taking stock and
assessing
impacts<https://www.elgaronline.com/abstract/journals/apjel/22-2/apjel.2019.02.01.xml>,"
 in the latest issue of Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law. Below you
will find the abstract.

Since their emergence in the 1970s, human rights relating to environmental
protection have spread all over the world and continue to find homes in an
ever-growing list of national constitutions. These provisions mainly fall into
one of three categories – substantive, procedural, or derivative environmental
rights. Over the last two decades, the proliferation of these rights has caught
the attention of legal scholars and social scientists, who have sought to
catalogue their distribution and analyze the origins and impacts of this
development. The literature in this area has provided anecdotal updates
concerning environmental rights jurisprudence at the national and regional
levels and global quantitative assessments regarding the effects that such
rights have on humans and the environment. However, scant work offers
regionally-focused empirical examinations of the variation of the presence and
impacts of environmental rights. In an effort toward filling this gap, this
article utilizes statistical techniques in order to determine what, if any,
correlation exists between environmental rights and environmental performance
in the Asia Pacific region. Preliminary results suggest that, over the past
several years, countries with environmental rights have experienced strong
improvements in ecosystem vitality but weak reductions in measures of
environmental health. In addition, there is evidence of important
intra-regional differences – South and South-West Asia lay claim to some of the
world's most innovative environmental rights jurisprudence, while North and
Central Asia possess the region's greatest concentration of constitutions
featuring environmental rights. The article concludes with several
recommendations for policy-makers in the region regarding the adoption and
implementation of environmental rights.

If you would like a copy of the article (author page proofs with minor
corrections), please let me know and I'd be happy to send it along.

Best,

Josh

----------------------------------
Joshua C. Gellers, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. of Political Science and Public Administration
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224

(e): josh.gell...@unf.edu<mailto:josh.gell...@unf.edu>
(t): @JoshGellers
(w): www.joshgellers.com<http://www.joshgellers.com/>

Book: The Global Emergence of Constitutional Environmental
Rights<https://www.routledge.com/The-Global-Emergence-of-Constitutional-Environmental-Rights/Gellers/p/book/9781138696495>