I don't know whether I'm doing something stupid or have simply noticed something that everybody already knows about. I find that when running the PVR manager ("C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\pvr_manager.cmd") under my Win XP or 64-bit Win 7 systems and Firefox (or IE or Chrome), the "auto-refresh cache in 1 hour if you keep this page open" feature does nothing. The effect seems to be the same either with the Perl system which comes with the get_iplayer install, or with Active Perl or Strawberry Perl if I remove the built in Perl. On my Ubuntu Linux system with Firefox, the auto-refresh works as advertised.