On Wed Jul 17 19:39:04 BST 2013, bat guano wrote:

Is it necessary for get_iplayer to use MPlayer instead of FFmpeg for muxing the mp3 downloads? Will FFmpeg not demux them properly, or will the demuxed files not play on some players?
Or is there some other reason?

Hello bat!

I have recently referred to this in my post here:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-July/004448.html

Quote:

Then MPlayer is used to demux the raw MP3
stream from the FLV file...
(FFmpeg is also capable of demuxing this, but as I recall from
posts many months ago, some "issues" arise in some Open Source OSes during
this process...
With the abolition of the RealAudio streams - it is very hard to find one, even in
Radio Archive Pages - and the impracticallity of dumping WMA streams in
real-time, Mplayer is now almost exclusively used for demuxing those MP3
streams from the "flashaudio" radiomode; perhaps it is now time to review
those "issues", that is if they persist even with the latest FFmpeg packages,
so as to do away completely with MPlayer in the next GiP update...)

A very quick search of the archive produced this result:

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/msg00439.html

and I do recollect dinkypumpkin mentioning some reasons back then why
MPlayer is still being used, but it was long ago and the "issue" (if indeed it is one)
hasn't resurfaced - until now, that is...

Cheers
Vangelis.