Hi C. E.,

> Yes, I was aware of \b support in some languages, but RE support
> varies across languages, and, knowing this but not being experienced
> in PERL, I checked at least two online sources for PERL REs and could
> find no evidence of support for it.

One is http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html#Assertions

It was Perl that invented `\b', along with many of the other conventions
that spread to other implementations, e.g. `\d' for digit, a `?' suffix
for non-greedy as in /<.*?>/, the otherwise invalid `?' after an open
parenthesis as a gateway for further flags like the non-capturing `:' in
/(.)(?:.)(.)/, etc.  Larry Wall was very knowledgable of the Unix
programming environment, including the various regular expression
syntaxes in sed, grep, egrep, ..., and came up with a consistent
almost-superset that had some nice conveniences too.

> True, but if that is starting to happen, then one of the other 'rules'
> was to break a monolithic program into blocks

Alas, AFAIK, get_iplayer wishes to ship as a single file.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy