On Tue Jan 8 16:28:02 GMT 2019, James Scholes wrote:
It's perhaps worth noting that, in the case of BBC Store, downloads were encrypted but the actual streams that you could watch on-demand were not.

Hi James, thanks for clarifying on that! Now that you've mentioned it, I do recollect faintly that the BBC Store "mediaselector API" URI was specially protected, dependent on a logged-in user/buyer cookie or something of the sort, I just couldn't remember whether the actual stream itself was DRM'd or not - so I gambled (and lost!) that it was...

I also wrote a (unreleased) Kodi add-on

I realise this is OT, but did you come up with something similar for the 4K UHD VOD streams for the "Dynasties" series?
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239378&pid=2796801#pid2796801

(This is best continued off-list if you did...)
So maybe that provides some hope that the iPlayer will remain DRM-free.

... Fingers crossed!

Best regards