I understand the need to convert aac that the player won't play. But surely mp3
would be the last choice to convert them to, given converting one lossy format
to another is just about the worst thing you can do to audio. Sometimes there
are nasty interactions between the different perceptual models.

Wouldn't a better option be to first try converting to flac (something like
level 5 compression), then if the player can't handle that try wav (which might
need a sample rate conversion if the player assumes 44.1 for example), and then
mp3 as a desperate last resort?

--
Owen Smith <owen.sm...@cantab.net>
Cambridge, UK