On 04/11/2019 14:15, Budge wrote:
> On 30/10/2019 12:06, Budge wrote:

>>> The principal difference between the two files is that the one that
>>> works has a sampling rate of 48kHz and the one that doesn't has a
>>> sampling rate of 44.1kHz.  One possibility is that Linn does not support
>>> a 44.1kHz sampling rate, although it would be very surprising if it didn't.
>>>
>>> Since "Linn recommends FLAC" you could try converting the 44.1kHz
>>> sampling rate file to FLAC at the same sampling rate.  You could also
>>> try resampling the 44.1kHz sampling rate file to 48kHz.
>>>
>>> What puzzles me is how you got a file with a sampling rate of 44.1kHz
>>> and a bit rate of 320kbit/s.  I am not saying that is not a valid
>>> combination; it is.  What I am saying is that as far as I am aware it is
>>> not a combination available from the BBC.
>>>
>>> Many radio programmes are available as podcasts.  You can download a
>>> podcast from the BBC website.  You will be offered a choice of bit
>>> rates, 64kbit/s and 128kbit/s.  The file will be in MP3 format with a
>>> sampling rate of 44.1kHz.
>>>
>>> If you download a radio programme with get_iplayer without using the
>>> --raw option you will get a M4A/AAC file with a sampling rate of 48kHz.
>>> You will have a choice of bit rates, in some cases up to 320kbit/s.
>>>
>>> In the last few months programmes with podcasts have also had podcast
>>> versions which can be downloaded with get_iplayer.  More recently still
>>> for some programmes the only download available with get_iplayer has
>>> been the podcast version.  In either case the file format has been
>>> M4A/AAC and the sampling rate has been 48kHz.
>>>
>>> One example of a Radio 3 programme with a podcast is The Listening Service.
>>> get_iplayer --pid=m0009jzd --info
>>> shows that it has both original and podcast versions and, for both, bit
>>> rates up to 320kbit/s are available.  If you download it you will see
>>> the sampling rate is 48kHz.
>>>
>>> If you go to the programme's website
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078n25h/episodes/downloads
>>> the download buttons will offer a choice of 64kbit/s and 128kbit/s bit
>>> rates.  If you download one of them you will get a MP3 file with a
>>> sampling rate of 44.1kHz.
>>>
>>> There is no option which combines a 44.1kHz sampling rate with a bit
>>> rate of 320kbitj/s.
>>>
>>> I have just read your post again, and it seems I have got the one that
>>> works and the one that doesn't the wrong way round.  It seems even more
>>> unlikely that your Linn device would not support a 48kHz sampling rate,
>>> although 44.1kHz is the CD standard.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>> Richard

>> Hi Richard,
>> Many thanks for the information and for your explanations.
>>
>> Unfortunately all these files are historical downloads which I am trying
>> to clean up and I believe (but cannot easily check,) these problem files
>> have resulted from downloads following an operating system change or new
>> installation, following which I have made errors which have munged the
> [...]

Further to the above I have read all my previous thread from January
2017 and I am none the wiser, probably less so!  Linn advise the first
sample file has been corrupted.  The only clue I have on this is from
running AtomicParsley on the file when I get in the last line:-

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any clues what might have caused this and how can I correct the fault
(which may or may not be the problem with Linn DS player)?