I had a similar problem with Miranda series 1 episode 1:
get_iplayer -o . --force  --pid b00nxn31 --tvmode=better
This produced a file which was reportedly 56seconds long, and ran at a
bitrate of 48.6Mbs using a frame rate of just 4 FPS.

Running with version 3.24 produces a file with a bitrate of 1595Kbps
and is 28 minutes long running at the normal rate.  I'd suggest
upgrading and trying again.