In article
<CAE3AcKfZ=xzu8opaosihyaw5cganxgoashdmykhlkryoizy...@mail.gmail.com>, Dave
Widgery <dave.widg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

> I am looking at possibly moving our two notebooks over to linux, I used
> to be a Unix system Manager (although 15 years ago and very rusty) so I
> am not too worried which flavour. but my wife struggles with windows
> these days so I need something that has a good look and feel of the
> windows GUI, we don't use much in the way of windows programs, but
> having something with good windows emulation would be good.

Others may know better, but I'm not clear if you are saying the desktop GUI
must look like a specific instance of the Windows/MS GUI, or simply needs
to have an easy to use GUI that behaves in a similar way. cf below...

> Lastly I do want to run get_iplayer on my laptop so I need something
> that there is a get_iplayer distribution available.

I'd guess that if the distro you pick can install the required language
support then you can simply get the most up to date version of get-iplayer
directly. That's what I've always done. Hasn't ever occurred to me to even
look for a version from the repos of the my preferred choice of distro!

> I was looking at robolinux that provides appears to provides good
> windows look and feel and windows compatibility, I wondered if anyone
> had any experience of robolinux or can suggest a suitable alternative.

OK, so it must look and feel as close to a given Windows version as
possible? Not just respond in the same sorts of ways in terms of
mousebutton actions, etc?

Sorry if my questions are numpty. I just install ROX as the desktop.
FWIW Usually on Linux Mint xfce.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm