On 2022-10-13 11:40, Chris Walker wrote:

I sort them into the relevant year using <nameshort>/<firstbcastyear>
but I then have to run a bash script to create a folder for the relevant
month with this code :-
newdir=$month" "$(date -d $month/01 +%b) where the month has been
extracted earlier such that I get a folder named '10 Oct'.

But of course GiP already provides the firstbcastmonth so is there any
way for GiP to create the month in the format I desire?

What IS the format you desire?

What happens if instead of

  <nameshort>/<firstbcastyear>

you use

  <nameshort>/<firstbcastyear>/<firstbcastmonth>

(or possibly something like

  <nameshort>
   /<firstbcastyear>/<firstbcastday> <firstbcastmonth>

if the latter variable also exists?

It's been a long time since I used get_iplayer, but I approached this
sort of problem by generating and issuing get_iplayer commands which
contained explicit filepaths invented to suit whatever I was fetching
rather than expecting get_iplayer to work out what to do with each
file.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own