Hi !

> > > Once we have accepted to
> > > memory map the fb into the userspace process adress space the only
> > > way to prevent it (even temporarily) to access this area is to
> > > unmap everything.
> > Well - to unmap the part that might conflict. This may vary between cards.
> That was my question the other day. So some cards do conflict on a region
> access bases.

Yeah, but probably not quite as you think. It's not directly conflicting
Vidmem access, but any FB-access on Virge IIRC. Access to accelspace still
works.

> Well the unmapp solution isn't that bad on a UMP machine but on SMP this
> is really bad.

With a high "M", of course this gets more and more ugly.

> On SMP machines IMO proper scheduling will be the best solution.

Yeah. I'd implement both and make it a runtime/compiletime switch.

> This solution will not be that bad on a UMP machine either.

Well - it has a bad penalty, if both apps rarely make use of the mmap,
but rather use accel almost always.

> With cards framebuffers growing in memory size
Who says you need to map it all ?

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =