On 5 Feb 2000, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > I just started thinking about my last post in a different way. Should
> > we implement something like sources in ggi, wihch would allow frame
> > grabbing, image loading, etc?
>
> Yes, it should be implemented in ggi, just not in LibGGI.
>
> Image loading should ideally be written as two libraries:
>
> One library that does not use LibGGI and does not know about visuals.
> It should dynamicly load readers/writers for different image formats,
> and read images into/write imaghes from it's own simple structure
> (basicly just width, height, format and a pointer to the data). It
> should also be able to convert images between different formats.
>
> The second library should be a simple glue-layer between the first
> library an LibGGI. The reason to make two libraries that a generic
> image loader/writer that is _not_ tied to any graphics/window system
> is badly needed, and the first library will be just that.

On image grabbing:  This is good, very good.  Would work for stills,
scanning, digital cameras, ....

On -video- capture (ie stream of messages):  No.  Absolutely not.
Frame grabbing has -terrible- problems with two things:
        1. It goes very fast.  Hard to capture 30fps at 640x480
                straight into a raw buffer...
        2.  Drivers aren't very stable... *sigh*  [for bttv]

Anyways, you'd have to do a different interface for -video- capture than
for image capture anyways.  Mostly due to latency problems.
I want that personally....
(mind you, I don't use GGI to -play- videos either other than to supply a
frame to write to ... it doesn't fit the purpose)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis