SAK (alt-sysrq-K)
but it doesn't always work.

YMMV and here's an explanation by comparison of my computer:

under 3dfx/Banshee+DRI if you run X and fbdev simultaneously, switch out
of X, load a graphical fbdev proggy then quit, the system halts.

this is an improvement over just halting if ya switched out of X (afaik
this happens though if you switch out while running a 3D app).