On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Speaking about video and animation, may I come back to
> a suggestion I had a couple of weeks back ?
>
> I proposed to separate the 'Visual' structure into a
> 'Drawable' and a part concerned about event handling.
> The argument is quite in line with Andreas' request to
> refactor functionality in decompressing and drawing:
> Drawing and event handling have *nothing* to do with
> each other. My reason to ask this is that I'd like to
> see one day a 'drawable store' manager able to allocate
> any number of Drawables which I can draw into and then
> copy from one into another etc. However, there's always
> just one event listener.

[clip as I don't want to get thwapped for excessive quoting :]
> The manager I'm talking about would then inspect the
> amount of accessible video memory and allocate either from
> that or, if it runs out of vram, from normal heap.
[okay 'nuff clipping now]

Completely agreed 100%

The original reason I suspect for the event handling and drawing to be
merged was X, where this is necessary.

It certainly is -not- in FB/KGI/... however it makes a good default
starting point for the drivers.

I don't know what the rest o' y'all think about this though :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis