On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Andreas Beck wrote:

> >  1- For precise interface layout, I do not want to program: I simply want
> > an UI builder. I do *not* care of the actual API involved below, I do not
> > want to be able to call it directly. I want these damns buttons to get
> > drawn, I do not want to know how and by which function.
>
> Right. However I want to be able to tell that FSCKING builder how the
> buttons should react to resizing of the window, i.e. what area should
> expand and what should make way.
>
> I _hate_ that stupid static designs that will not make that stupidly small
> 40x4 Textareas that get on my nerves, because I want to enter quite an
> amount of text bigger when I pull the window bigger.

You are rushing to issue 6 right away: you are a programmer. :-)

You will probably find out later on that your grandma never noticed that
feature; but complain all the times on the fact that buttons are not in
alphabetical order. :-)

> >  Of course, there is a bootstrap problem here: which GUI to use for the UI
> > generator... :-)) But I really believe the latter should be able to
> > generate itself before claiming v.1!
>
> :-). Right. Well usual solution. Use an existing compile to compile,
> then compile again with the result. Repeat until no significant changes
> occur anymore :-).

On this issue, I wonder if we are not in the situation where no base
system exist to perform the bootstrap. Well, the first compiler was
written in assembler, but I do not think it was the most tricky part of
the job. Designing a good high level programming language was probably
more difficult. :-)

I wonder if the guys from Berlin/Fresco have not already an opinion on
this. Anyone on this list?

Rodolphe