Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:

>>> Of course, there is a bootstrap problem here: which GUI to use for the UI
>>>generator... :-)) But I really believe the latter should be able to
>>>generate itself before claiming v.1!
>>
>>:-). Right. Well usual solution. Use an existing compile to compile,
>>then compile again with the result. Repeat until no significant changes
>>occur anymore :-).
>

> On this issue, I wonder if we are not in the situation where no base
> system exist to perform the bootstrap. Well, the first compiler was
> written in assembler, but I do not think it was the most tricky part of
> the job. Designing a good high level programming language was probably
> more difficult. :-)
>
> I wonder if the guys from Berlin/Fresco have not already an opinion on
> this. Anyone on this list?

I don't think an interactive GUI builder is an absolute must to get a
GUI, so it's not really a bootstrapping process. The old InterViews
toolkit had an application based on the Unidraw framework to generate
a GUI. They published a couple of papers to discuss how it worked.
I'm now working (a bit) on a Unidraw port to fresco, so a GUI builder
may be one of the sideeffects, if anybody is interested...

Regards,
Stefan