Sorry, they are not "frontend plugins" but a new feature that will be
in GHC 8.6.

They are an implementation of this GHC proposal.
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0017-source-plugins.rst

There is also this thread last year about the same topic which Simon
answered in the same way that I did but you may find either
explanation more useful.

https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-October/014826.html

Cheers,

Matt