Nope, compilation of libs does not work if there is no ghdl already installed
in the system!
the culprit is in the ghdl Makefile, line 173:

libs.vhdl.gcc:
        $(MAKE) GHDL=$(bindir)/ghdl$(EXEEXT) vhdl.libs.all libs.vhdl.standard

So in my call to "make GHDL=<my-path> ghdllibs", the GHDL= is discarded.
What's needed is that the GHDL variable is kept for that recursive make call.

Otherwise, I have to keep my build stuff split, like that (seems a bit fragile):
make <variables=my-paths> vhdl.libs.all libs.vhdl.standard
make libgrt.a

Adrien