    Marc> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:59:50PM +0200, Alexander Skwar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >> RPM it is very much desirable to have the install not go to the "real"
    >> directory, but to prefix the install dir with some other dir.

    Marc> <rant again>
    Marc> Why is that every program has to be "fixed" to be usable
    Marc> with rpm, and everbody even agrees with that, instead of
    Marc> just fixing rpm???
    Marc> </>

It's not just rpm.  Lots of people want to install to some place
different from what the configure --prefix was.  People using stow,
for example.  Or package builders... dpkg does the same ("the same
sane"?)

And it's definitely not "every program".  Tons of stuff (like all
automake-using apps per default, usually) can do it.  It's just Perl
that doesn't seem to be able to honor that (according to older posts
from you Marc), which is a shame (for Perl).

I'm just happy that I don't have to fight this monster on a daily
basis...  (and I hope that the rumored complete Perl rewrite will be
helping here).

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard

PGP signature