Hey Marek,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Marek Dvoroznak <dvoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask you for an advice. I tried to ask once on IRC but had no
> luck. But since this is a longer question, mail list is more suitable
> anyway.

Don't you have a specific point of communication too (a "mentor")? Not
that you should not ask here. It's nice to have news, and you can get
other point of views too. :-)

> I remind that I'm a GSOC student and I work on n-point image deformation
> GEGL operation and GIMP tool.
>
> I have a static library which can do n-point deformation - it has
> functions which create mesh, allow to add points on mesh, perform the
> deformation algorithm etc. The library is bundled with GEGL (in my
> branch - inside libs/npd). I also have a GEGL operation which use that
> library and implements necessary graphics functions.
>
> I would like to use that operation in GIMP tool. To be able to
> effectively communicate with GEGL operation from GIMP I need to share
> some (especially mesh) data based on structures defined in the library.
> Is there a good way how to achieve that?
>
> I have looked into the sources of Cage tool and found out that it's
> defining its GEGL operation inside its sources in GIMP. I could do it
> similarly, but this way has a drawback - e.g. other graphics programs
> based on GEGL couldn't use the deformation.
>
> Another way would be to duplicate needed code, but duplication isn't
> nice. The solution could be to make shared library (bundled with GEGL)
> instead of static library. What do you think?

I agree that when the operation is generic enough to be useful in
various programs, it is better to distribute it along with GEGL. And
if Cage tool is not indeed, I guess it should have too.
In any case, code duplication should not happen.

Now about your npd library do you plan on distributing it separately
from GEGL? Why do you implement it as a separate library instead of
including the code directly into the GEGL operation? Basically do you
think people would link only your library, or would they always go
through GEGL if they want to use your transformation operation?
Because if the former, then I would suggest not going through a library layer.

Also as a general thing, if there is a library, the UNIX logics is to
prefer it shared than static. But I don't really understand what it
changes to your problem here. Actually I am not sure I understand your
problem. But I am not the most versed into GEGL either.

Jehan