I am willing to do whatever is needed to contribute. However, it would be
nice if the mailing list wouldn't block patches.

Has anyone taken a look at maybe using gerrit? It's actually a pretty
reasonable way to handle code changes when using git. It has a pretty nice
code review workflow. Projects like Android and Libreoffice use it. As an
example, here's a link
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/q/status:open,n,z>to the Libreoffice
instance.

wt