I made the assumption that the very talented babl/GEGL/GIMP developers are capable of writing code that can send colorant information from GIMP to babl.

On the basis of this assumption, I made a list of all the code files in babl/GEGL/GIMP that would require patching:
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/files/patch-gimp/user-chosen-rgb/hard-coded-srgb.ods

Then I wrote some "proof of concept" patches for providing GIMP users with the ability to edit in RGB working spaces other than sRGB:
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/files/patch-gimp/user-chosen-rgb/proof-of-concept-patches.tar.gz

I also wrote an overview of the task of patching babl/GEGL/GIMP to allow for editing in a user-chosen RGB working space:

Modifying bab/GEGL/GIMP for editing in user-chosen RGB working spaces
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/gimp-edit-in-user-chosen-rgb-working-space.html

Best,
Elle