Hi,

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Partha Bagchi <parth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
> alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:
>>
>> > I am perplexed to see that we need glib-networking suddenly since my git
>> > pull from a couple of days ago? Is there a reason to requiring glib
>> > networking support?
>>
>> To quote from https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/commit/?id=
>> bb196607693b2a8fa95f033966506cbf3c377d81
>>
>> "Use a code test inspired by libsoup configure test. This is a hard
>> dependency because HTTPS should not be considered an option anymore.
>> Nowadays most websites will use HTTPS by default, HTTP gives SEO
>> penalties and browsers are starting to display various security
>> warnings on HTTP websites. Also the experience will be significantly
>> degraded without SSL/TLS support since the help browser will fail to
>> load the manual remotely, and opening various remote files on secure
>> protocols will fail. Note: the test cannot be performed while
>> cross-compiling. In this case, we will just display a warning for
>> packagers to be at least well aware of this dependency."
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> Yes, I read the quote but am still perplexed. the only (?) place we need
> http/https support is to load images from an URI? Is it not sufficient to
> make that optional instead of introducing one more dependency?

No, there are at least 2 features affected: open remote files indeed
and the help browser (help will fail showing with an error since our
websites are now https only). This last one was getting quite a lot of
report on the tracker and was very bad experience.
Anyway nowadays https is the standard for web access. Not supporting
this is not acceptable IMO.

Jehan

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net