On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmott...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Partha Bagchi <parth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
> > alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> git
> >>
> >> To quote from https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/commit/?id=
> >> bb196607693b2a8fa95f033966506cbf3c377d81
> >>
> >> "Use a code test inspired by libsoup configure test. This is a hard
> >> dependency because HTTPS should not be considered an option anymore.
> >> Nowadays most websites will use HTTPS by default, HTTP gives SEO
> >> penalties and browsers are starting to display various security
> >> warnings on HTTP websites. Also the experience will be significantly
> >> degraded without SSL/TLS support since the help browser will fail to
> >> load the manual remotely, and opening various remote files on secure
> >> protocols will fail. Note: the test cannot be performed while
> >> cross-compiling. In this case, we will just display a warning for
> >> packagers to be at least well aware of this dependency."
> >>
> >> Alex
> >>
> >> Yes, I read the quote but am still perplexed. the only (?) place we need
> > http/https support is to load images from an URI? Is it not sufficient to
> > make that optional instead of introducing one more dependency?
>
> No, there are at least 2 features affected: open remote files indeed
> and the help browser (help will fail showing with an error since our
> websites are now https only). This last one was getting quite a lot of
> report on the tracker and was very bad experience.
> Anyway nowadays https is the standard for web access. Not supporting
> this is not acceptable IMO.
>
> Jehan

Hi,

You realize that for platforms other than Linux, that if you wish to
install glib-networking, you have to install gnutls which requires that you
install nettle which in turn requires that you install gmp? All this
because you want remote help files and remote images be accessed from GIMP?
Does this seem reasonable to you?

Thanks,
Partha