Interesting: Somehow it could read the file (There was a dialog box
which contents I can't remember, but it was about file format. I hit OK
there) Can I find out more about that (my) particular TIF, possibly
within GIMP. Maybe I could send you the start of the file (the whole
image is 18MB, so not ideal for distributing)...

Could it be that the TIF uses LAB colors, not CMYK?