Ralf Engels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I had some problems with the following operations:
> Fill a selection with a pattern.
> Lighting a selection up.
> The above operations are possible with the bucket fill, but the bucket
> makes it's own selection.

Hmm??? Of course Bucket Fill uses an existing selection!

> bucket-fill does not make a selection that you can work with.

it's not supposed to create selections.

> fill with foreground/background has good shortcuts (ctrl ./,) but you
> can't set a mode or transparency.

it might make sense to make those two use the Bucket Fill settings.
The Bucket Fill settings are used when filling using drag-n-drop so
this can be considered an unconsistency.

> gradient fill can fill with gradients but not with one color or
> with a pattern.

it's Gradient Fill after all....

> The first thing to do is add a "fill with color" and "fill with pattern"
> option to the gradient fill.
> Then we can think about removing the bucket-fill (I don't use it).

the Gradient Fill UI is already cluttered enough. We shouldn't add
anything not gradient related there.

> The above is only a proposition and free for discusion, but I can
> implement it if you like.

I don't see your point at all since, as I already said, the Bucket Fill
tool works just fine with existing selections.

Salut, Sven