On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Brian Richardson wrote:

> well, I have things working, but it's a bit of a hack.
>
> What I really want to do is launch Perl-Server, running as user nobody,
> from my init scripts (I use the Perl-Server extensively in my CGI
> development). So, I put together a setuid wrapper to launch the gimp,
> but I don't see any way of detaching the gimp process from the
> controlling terminal so that I can background it without terminating the
> gimp. Any suggestions, or is this a feature which may be added at a
> later date? ;)

Try VNC:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

It can keep an entire X-server session running at the background of the
computer. You'll need to set the DISPLAY env-var of your CGI scripts in
accordance with it, but it should work.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> right now I have to leave the setuid wrapper as the last item in my
> rc.local and leave the rc.local script running.
>
> Brian

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home E-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.