I saw a message on the archives list (I wasn't subscribed and went
through that procedure but I am not sure I got it right yet - so please
don't abuse me) about "Suggestions for Clone tool".  I then went back to
the referenced thread from October.  It talked about some "clone tool
dialogs" changes among some other ideas.

How about using a shift-click type option to use current new layer
versus the previous layer.  This type of clicking is used for slightly
different results in selections and may fit well here.  CTRL-click for
setting a point on previous image, SHIFT-click for using the resulting
image.

Jim