Hi,

Austin Donnelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've just heard about Valgrind, a memory debugger much like Purify,
> but which works on Linux.
>
> I've given it a quick spin on gimp-1.2.2, and it picked up a couple of
> bugs.  It's really quite a good tool!

you should probably update to 1.2.3 before you waste time debugging
1.2.2.

> For more information about it, see:
>   http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/

yes, it's kinda cool. It didn't like the MMX check in gimp-1.3 and
mumbled something like "Insane instruction". It works fine however
with the latest gimp from CVS when passing --no-mmx on the gimp-1.3
command-line.  I'm not sure if I prefer it over memprof but it's
definitely helpful.  We are getting a decent amount of warnings about
"Use of uninitialised CPU condition code" most prominently in
pixel_region and temp_buf code.  I'm not certain if we can trust
valgrind here, but it would definitely be a good idea to investigate
this to make sure.

Salut, Sven