Hi Carol,

EPS-files require an additional showpage command submitted to
ghostscript. This is usually done by the ps-plugin. But these binary
PostScript files (I have never seen before) are not recognized as
EPS-files. The plug-in is not looking at the extension.
If you or Gustav are working with Linux, you can use a workaround.
Create a file /tmp/gs_eps with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
args=`echo $* | sed -e 's/eps -c quit/eps -c showpage -c quit/'`
exec gs $args

(Note the different ` and ).
Make it executable:

chmod 755 /tmp/gs_eps

Set an environment variable in the bash:

export GS_PROG=/tmp/gs_eps

and start gimp from that shell:

gimp TORG_illustration.eps

For Windows I don't know an appropriate workaround.

Sincerely

Peter

Carol Spears wrote:

> here is a question from the user list.  since i have used gimp to work
> with eps files before, i got one of the images and tried to open it.  my
> gimp-1.2 failed also.  any ideas?
>
> the image i downloaded and unzipped is located here
> http://carol.gimp.org/files/TORG_illustration.eps
>
> thanks,
> carol
>
> On 2002-04-05 at 1808.26 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed this mail:
>
>>How come GIMP fails to load these images? (Note they are zip-ed)
>>http://www.liljeholmstorget.nu/press.html
>>
>>Gustav Persson

Peter Kirchgessner
http://www.kirchgessner.net