On 30 May 2002, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 10:36, RaphaŽl Quinet wrote:

> I'm not sure how the plugins are used by GIMP.

gimp opens a pipe, spawns the child plugin process, and communicates using
a relatively simple protocol.

> The FSF says <http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins>
> also: <http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCMereAggregation>
>
> It's very arguable that GIMP and its plugins are effectively one
> program. Especially since GIMP plugins can only be used from GIMP,
> integrate into the mnus of GIMP, etc.

There are other programs that can run gimp plugins. (well, gimp 1.0
plugins at least)

Of course, the question of plugins is almost academic, becuase the
copyright holders of GIMP have explicitly stated that they don't consider
propriatary plugins to be infringing.  If they won't sue over it, who can?

(Note that I am NOT suggesting that we shouldn't make GIMP's licensing
kosher)

Rockwalrus