On Wed, 29 May 2002, David Neary wrote:
> > Hmmm...  This is bad, because this is not compatible with the GPL.  So we
> > must either stop distributing these files or distribute them in a separate
> > package that is not GPL'ed.
> Why is giving credit to an author incompatible with the GPL?

It's not the credit-giving (typically, authors usually credit themselves
in the file header) but the requirement of prominent advertizing. I'm not
a license guru, but I think the GPL explicitly forbids extra
license requirements above those specified in the GPL itself. So if you
want an advertizing clause, you have to use a modified version of the GPL
or combine the code with a modified version of the GPL, thus non-GPL.

In fact, when I now searched gnu.org, I found this:

> I see no reason why an advertising clause need cause an issue...
> could someone explain it to me?

This is most likely not the proper list for general licensing discussions
or questions. I'm sure there are better suited lists for that.