Adam D. Moss wrote:
It's a reasonable direction, I think, but I have two comments:

* It probably makes sense to detect whether a whole tile is
transparent/solid/etc just-in-time when you're about to consider
swapping it out (or dropping it down to a colder cache) instead
of every time it gets dirty.  IIRC the tile-row-hints stuff does
this sort of stuff just-in-time too, at compositing time, so effort
isn't wasted on the various sorts of tiles, transient or otherwise,
that never end up getting composited (but I'm an old man and my
memory is getting hazy; I'd forgotten that the tile-row-hints
stuff even existed and I should bloody well know).

I am missing some context here. Why does a tile get dirty? (To offer a guess at understanding, what two blocks of memory are getting out of sync when a tile is dirty?).