On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Roger Leigh wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:22:17 +0100
> From: Roger Leigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Manish Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: new-xcf [Re: Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 10,
>      Issue 18]
> Manish Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I don't see a compelling argument to use zip/jar. It's complexity that
> > doesn't buy us anything over ar.
> $ ar t gimp1.2-print_4.2.5-4_i386.deb
> debian-binary
> control.tar.gz
> data.tar.gz
> The Debian dpkg ".deb" package format uses an ar archive with gzip
> compressed members.  It's very robust, and it's simple to extract
> information from any of the members as needed.  e.g.
> $ ar p gimp1.2-print_4.2.5-4_i386.deb control.tar.gz | tar xfz - ./md5sums

you used a pipe

what happened there is that you just unzipped the entire archive
then in a seperate operation you extracted just the files you wanted.

there is nothing wrong with that, you get better compression that way.

In a zip archive you really do just extract the single file, there is no
unzipping of the whole archive first, which is useful if you just want to
grab one or two files quickly from a large archive.

- Alan