From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Joao S. O. Bueno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Grain modes are just the beginning - was McFarland's Re: Startup Notification support...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:38:02 +0200

"Joao S. O. Bueno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> For example, this is the line in current gimp code that does the
> "merge mode" :
>  sum = src1[b] + src2[b] - 128;
> It will be doable by typing:
> ED = E1 + E2 -0.5;
> as the custom layer mode. (E stands for "every channel". A is already
> used for alpha -  I myself dislike the "every", and will accept other
> suggestions)
> The advantadges? Even the above formula throws information away - it
> kees a better average than ADD layer mode. With the custom layer
> mode, you willbe able to adjust the cnstante factor for every layer
> on every image.
> Thus if it is too light, with large white only areas, one will just
> have to edit the layer mode expression from the above to:
> ED = E1 + E2 -0.7;  , for instance.

I don't want to discourage you and it's certainly a nice expert/geek
feature but I doubt that the casual GIMP user wants to type in any

well, it's certainly something that is of interest to me, and surely it wouldn't be a problem to have the extra layer modes at the bottom of the drop down list as well as a create new mode option which can optionally add it to a user list of modes or just save it in the XCF being processes.

just an idea, and sorry if it's already been covered.