On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:10:37PM +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> point where no image manipulation program has gone before. However there
> is still the need for a good format for exchanging layered images
> between applications. So perhaps it makes sense to also develop such an

I don't think there is a need for such an extra format. Existing formats
like MIFF can easily cope with layered images and can easily be
extended (linearly) with additional metadata.

And surely if people want to read/write xcf and don't want to use GEGL
i'd firmly say it's their problem entirely. I mean, if people want to
read/write PNG without libpng it's their problem, too, and png was
designed as interchange format, while xcf is not, should not, and will
not.