On 23 Aug 2003, at 14:52, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:28:53AM +0200, Branko Collin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > That other mail server administrators
> don't know jack about their job
>
> Unfortunately, that kind of setup (looking at the envelope to bounce
> errors) is correct, and useful.
>
> > that it won't look at the From field (or the Reply-to field, or the
> > envelope, which can all be faked) to determine the sender?
>
> While that might be possible, it is the same as switching off all
> error messages, which is not very useful.
>
> If no other solution is possible (filtering on that specific kind of
> bounce, like we can do on [EMAIL PROTECTED]), chances are low to get this
> working.

The mail server could look at the domain of the server where it got
the mail from. If those are not similar, the mail server could decide
to let the originating server deal with the problem, by sending a
bounce with a comment. There are of course many valid situations in
which the domain of the originating mail server is not the same as
the domain in the From or Reply-to fields or in the envelope, but in
the case of a virus or of spam it is not too much of a stretch to
assume malicious intent as the default.

--
branko collin