On Sunday 04 July 2004 21:23, Soren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi everybody
> This is my first post to this list, so please be gentle :-)
> I'm a student of computer science at the University of Copenhagen (DIKU)
> working mostly with image processing. At DIKU we have a rather old image
> C library and hence quite a bit images stored in the image format used
> in this library.
> I'd like to be able to read and write this kind of images in gimp, but
> how do I get started?
> I guess I have to write a plugin but the docs a rather outdated (at
> least the ones I can find). Any hints on how to get started would be
> appreciated.

Well, first you should probably take a look at the source of existing plug-ins
for image input and output. For example, you can find the Windows BMP
Read/Write plugin under "plug-ins/bmp" (starting from the GIMP distribution
or CVS tree). BMP is a relatively simple format and the code of its plug-in
should be easy to understand. Other formats' read/write plug-ins can be found
under "plug-ins/common" and somewhere under "plug-ins".

If there's an API function that you don't understand you can look at its
description in the header files and source code under "libgimp/",
"libgimpbase", etc. grep is your friend.

Note that I haven't done too much GIMP developments, and there are other
people here who can give you more expert advice. This advice is just off the
top of my head.

        Shlomi Fish