Keith Goatman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have used the development version for some time now and there are
> many improvements which I really appreciate.  However, I have a couple
> of questions about two of the dialogs which have changed.
> 1. What is the advantage of the new file selection dialog?  I find it
>    much more difficult to use (even after having stumbled across the
>    ctrl+L facility).

Despite the fact that it has a sane API (which the old widgets didn't
have), it also has a number of useability improvements like bookmarks,
mime-type icons and the ability to mount volumes. It also features a
Win32 backend and in the future it will allow GIMP to work on remote
files (if we figure out how to use gnome-vfs w/o pulling in too many
dependencies). It is also expected that Search capabilities will be
added in the future (see

If you are missing keyboard navigation in the file chooser, you might
want to try a recent GTK+ development snapshot. There have been some
improvements in that area.

> 2. Why has the scale factor (ratio) has been removed from the image
> scale dialog?  I personally found it very useful.

It hasn't been removed but got integrated with the units menu. This
has been suggested by users a while ago.