On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:16:49 +0000, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
> The most important thing to do is balance your tile cache setting, as
> you've already found.  You want it large enough that GIMP doesn't have
> to use its own virtual memory, but not so large that the OS has to use
> virtual memory to accommodate it.  On a 2GB machine, I'd set to about
> 1.5GB, assuming GIMP has pretty much free reign over the machine.

 If the OS has better virtual memory than what available to gimp, then
you would want to use that one. In Linux, I think in most cases, you
would want to use the (often in multiple disks) swap partitions/files
available to the OS.
 If you want to keep the system friendly to other apps as well, you
might consider a smaller than the available memory tile cache

PS. SOT: many people have more than one disk on their system. In that
case they should consider these example fstab entries:
/dev/hdf1               swap                    swap    defaults,pri=0  0 0
/dev/hdg5               swap                    swap    defaults,pri=0  0 0
/stuff/swap             swap                    swap    defaults,loop,pri=0 0 0
 (you might spell it as: "raid0 swap with three disks")