On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:38:51PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

> now that GIMP 2.2 is out and the major problems with the early 2.2.x
> releases seem to have been fleshed out, it would be nice if we could
> put some effort into documenting some of the new stuff that's hidden
> in the 2.2 version. So this is a plea for help on documenting things.
> I am sorry that I don't have the time to do all this myself, but I can
> at least try to make a list of things that I think would be worth
> writing about...

i have been working on some of the things on this list.  i am curious
what others have accomplished towards fullfilling this reasonable
request.

>  - nifty things you can tweak in the Preferences dialog and in gimprc

i am currently working on the Preferences dialog and am in need for some
sane words to describe how to set the units globally.  i realize it was
discussed on this mail list, however i am finding it difficult to
concisely explain how to set the units globally in the way a user could
understand and in a way that is actually effective globally.

>  - customizing the GIMP user interface

i have two different documents describing how to change the gimps docks
and tabs; a short description and a long one.

the shorter version:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/docks-tabs.html
the longer version:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/all_my_docks_and_tabs.html

>  - customizing the splash image

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/splashes/

in addition to the requests on this list, i wrote about how to configure
the gimps gtkrc to adjust the plug-in preview size here:

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/gtkrc.html

i am open to corrections and suggestions and/or i will be happy to put
the urls to everyone elses effort to fullfill the requests found on this
list from these pages.

i am really stuck understanding how the new gimp handles units globally,
perhaps it is a condition of too much information.  a nice concise user
friendly explanation of how it works now and what we get from this
change would help me (and others).

thanks,
carol