On 27.02.2005, at 01:19, Sven Neumann wrote:

just curious, is it expected that configuration of a GIMP
build will fail if configure cannot find a C++ compiler?

That question would better be asked on the autoconf list. While you
are on it, ask them why there are checks for a fortran compiler. I
don't think we ask for any of those.

It's a difference whether useless checks take place and are ignored or the compiler bails out on something that isn't needed at all. FWIW I haven't seen any other project using autoconf as well fail on this machine because there wasn't a C++ compiler installed so I assume that the GIMP (or maybe the GNOME stuff?) is doing something different or even wrong.

Servus,
      Daniel