Sven Neumann wrote:
Campbell Barton writes:
It always crashes on startup, even if I dont load data. But works if I
load the gimp with no UI.
Tried removing all the libgimp libs and my prefs for a fresh install
but no good.

You are running gimp-2.3 linked against the libraries from gimp-2.2
(or 2.0). Fix your linker setup.

To elaborate a bit on what Sven has said:

You can tell whether you're linking to the right GIMP libs by running ldd on the gimp-2.3 binary. If you're seeing libs like /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/ or /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/ instead of $prefix/lib/gimp/2.0/ then you're linking to the wrong libraries.

This could be because the directory where the older GIMP libraries are installed is in /etc/ - I seem to recall that this plays havoc with link-time linking (which libtool does) and definitely does with runtime linking. I'm not sure what the solution might be if you've installed an official 2.2 or 2.0 GIMP in /usr, and you want to install 2.3.1 in /usr/local or /some/special/prefix - perhaps someone else can give ideas how to get around that problem.

Dave Neary
Lyon, France