I had played with the alignent toll a while, and here is my feedback:
        - It really feels like going together with  the move tool.
When selecting a "target layer", one just  tries to drag it - no help
doing it otherwise.

        - Once a "reference layer  is set, if moving the target layer is
possible, it feels natural that it should snap to the reference layer
- thus allowing aligning the left edge of the target layer with the
right edge of the reference layer, and further snap so that both
tops, or both bottons are in the same coordinates. That would feel
great, and there is no need for further UI elements.