On 6/23/05, Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > and I would like to see it replaced with a term that doesn't require
> > > extra localisation work and yes I wouldn't be averse to slapping the
> > > slightly inappropriate "Windows" label on it (benefit of consistency
> > > with other software) but Palettes or even Docks which actualy
> > > describes the type of dialogs might be better.
> >
> > Windows is usually used for a list of opened windows.
> Photoshop is a bit weird I admit but the Windows menu is where it puts the
> menu items to control what Palettes are shown.  The list of Open Windows
> is also included in there somewhere, and also an option to "save
> workspace" which will make sure window positions are remembered and a few
> other bits and peices (like maybe Close All, but I dont have convenient
> access to Photoshop so I'm really not sure what is in there).

I've used plenty of applications where the Windows menu does
double-duty, with the kinds of windows that can be opened, followed by
a separator, followed by the current open windows.  Come to think of
it, I'd say the only apps that I've used that don't do it that way are
ones were all the windows are the same kind, anyway.
> > So if we used that we would use a term that is consistently used in
> > other applications for something completely different.
> In theory the View menu would be the place to put menu items to control
> what windows/dialogs are shown or not shown but in this case it is not at
> all pratical.

At least to me, the View menu is for stuff that affects this
particular view of this particular image, not dialogs and windows
unrelated to it.

> > And we should actually consider to add a Windows menu that lists all
> > open GIMP windows.
> Listing all the open window list might help reduce the requests for a
> tabbed interface to the gimp many of which seem to be due to difficulties
> in managing lots of open windows.

That would be a nice feature to have, but I don't think it would be a
complete substitution for tabs.