On Wednesday 10 August 2005 04:15 am, Jordi Canton wrote:
> > I disagree somewhat. IMO there should be a configurable profile search
> > path similar to what we have for brushes, fonts etc. The user
> > shouldn't have to select ICC profiles by selecting files. Instead
> > there should be a profile selector. This widget would list all
> > available profiles, showing info such as the profile vendor, profile
> > intent and other meta information that can be extracted from ICC
> > profiles.
>
> That is more or less the idea I have about it. The idea is to select
> the ICC profile, not the file.

I think we all agree on this the UI should present a list of profiles, not
files, to the user.

> I suppose that the new plug-in API will have functionalities to get the:
>
> Embedded ICC profile (get/set)
> Profile search path (or alternatively list of available profiles)
>
> Do you have more or less the list of the new API ICC funcionalities?
> They will help me to clarify the actual user interface which actually
> looks like:
>
> http://www.virtual-sub.org/images/upload/abulmacolor2.jpg
>
> I agree that it can be improved.

Jordi,

You current plug-in is a good fit for GIMP 2.2 but it implements way too much
stuff for GIMP 2.4 since the apparent plan is to have GIMP wide CM policies
that are set in file ==> preferences ==> color management.  So the policy
stuff in your plug-in will not be needed.

What is needed for GIMP 2.4 are two very simple plug-ins that will do two
things:

1. Allow the user to assign a profile to an image.  This would pull up a
dialog that allows the user to assign the default working space profile or
select from a list of available profiles.

2. Allow the user to do a color space conversion.  This would pull up a dialog
that would have a "from" and "to" section.  In the "from" section the user
would be able to select either the embedded profile if one exited (otherwise
this is gray) or from a list of available profiles.  In the "to" section the
user would be able to select either the default working space profile or from
a list of available profiles.

Hal