From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:36:22 +0200

   Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

   > 1) I don't remember anyone ever feeding them back to us.  Mitch did
   >    some improvements once, years ago, but no one's ever contacted us
   >    since.

   You need them fed to you? Are you serious?

Personally I had no idea that you ever did anything but port it
otherwise unchanged to the GIMP 2.x.  At one point, Mitch did make
some improvements, which he gave back to us, but I never heard of any
further work.

   > 2) We're not interested in any changes to the 4.2-based plugin at this
   >    point; 5.0 is the wave of the future.  They're different enough
   >    that changes to one won't port very easily to the other.

   The gimp-print plug-in in Debian sid is the 5.0 based plug-in, isn't it?

I don't know.  The Linspire dialog is definitely 4.2, not 5.0.  The
one you folks have in the GIMP is based on 4.2.

   > 3) That's what happens when nobody steps forward to maintain the
   >    plugin and I have to do UI stuff.  The best way to utilize me for
   >    UI programming is to take whatever I do and invert it.

   Well, I offered my help more than once and asked you to transfer
   maintainership of the plug-in completely to us. That never happened
   and at some point I definitely lost interest. At the moment I am
   more inclined to drop the print plug-in from the GIMP tree
   entirely. Or perhaps replace it with a simple one that is based on
   libgnomeprint / libgnomeprintui.

The idea was that we'd turn it over to you when 5.0 was released.
Regardless, we've pretty clearly dropped the ball here, since 5.0 has
taken a lot longer than plan.  I don't entirely regret that, since
we've done some important things, but facts is facts and I don't blame
you for losing interest in it.

--Eric Crampton