On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 13:16 +0200, Alex Fernandez wrote:

>   - Is there a noise reduction technique / plugin for GIMP that I haven't
> found?
>   - Where can I upload the result of my own efforts so that people can
> try it out or even improve it?

Hi Alex,
unsharp mask you mention is generally used for sharpening, which tends
to actually increase the visibility of noise. Some techniques for
getting rid of noise are described on the gimp website -

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Reducing_CCD_Noise/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Gaussian_Blur/

I have recently found an interesting way to get rid of RGB independent
noise - http://jimmac.musichall.cz/weblog.php/Photos/RGBNoise.php, but
weren't so lucky in replacing the median filter with gimp's despeckle.
In the end, selective gaussian blur is what works for me best.

The place for 3rd party gimp plugins and scripts is registry.gimp.org,
it includes a few noise removal gems.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>